Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog was spayed this last Wednesday, is there anything besides

Customer Question

My dog was spayed this last Wednesday, is there anything besides a cone that can keep her from licking it. It's red already
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Some dogs are absolutely amazing in their ability to get to the surgical site. You do have some options, though. Here are some different suggestions (you may see one that would work for you):1) Depending on her size, you can have her wear a people t-shirt. Sometimes these are long enough to prevent access.2)Try a Buster Collar (can usually find at pet stores): https://www.bustercollars.com3)There are a variety of other collars as alternative to Ecollars. The Petlux collar also seems to be popular and works well: http://www.petluxecincinnati.com/2013/10/02/cone-of-shame-comforts/4) You can put her in an oversized diaper that covers the incision site. Sometimes this works, depending on where the site is located. But you must remove every time goes outside to urinate/defecate.5) Use a deterrent cream or spray. I do not find Bitter apple effective, but the spray called "Yuck" works well.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.