How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14884
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My min pin mix just tore open a bag of raw cacao nibs, she

Customer Question

My min pin mix just tore open a bag of raw cacao nibs, she chewed less than 1/2 ounce, she weighs about ten pounds. Is this enough that I should take her into the vet?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested about 1/2 an ounce of raw cacao nibs. This is a relatively new food that we don't have a lot of information about, and we don't know the amount of the toxin theobromine in them that makes dogs sick.If I can assume that they are made primarily of the cocoa bean itself then 0.12 ounces to 0.21 ounces would be a toxic amount for a 10 pound dog.If it has been less than 2 hours since she ingested the chocolate nibs it is well worth inducing vomiting.You can give her 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide soaked up with bread or a small amount of food.Then take her outside and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling so she vomits.If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide bread dose once.If she vomits and seems to clear her stomach and be done I would check to see if most or all of the chocolate is present. Then for the next 24 hours I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.If she seems at all nauseous it may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.To try and settle her stomach after she clears the chocolate nibs you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup her size every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet for a pup her size every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.Then after her 12 hours food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 to 180 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors, or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.If you don't have peroxide available to be safe I would recommend that she be taken to an emergency clinic to induce vomiting.Best of luck with your girl, let me know if you have any further questions.