Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog ate a small amount of acephate ant treatment. He is

Customer Question

My dog ate a small amount of acephate ant treatment. He is 70 lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow ingested a small amount of acephate ant treatment. This is an organophosphate insecticide, which can be toxic to dogs, but this particular organophosphate is one of the less toxic forms. The minimal lethal toxic dose in dogs was recorded as 680mgs per kilogram of body weight or 309mgs per pound of body weight. Your dog would have to eat a lot of the treatment to get anywhere close to that dose.Signs of organophosphate toxicity in dogs include muscle weakness, tremors, and reduced activity.Certainly if you see any signs of muscle weakness or tremors then your fellow should be seen on an emergency basis by a veterinarian, but this is very unlikely to occur. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara