Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has quit eating today and his gut is making all sorts

Customer Question

My dog has quit eating today and his gut is making all sorts of rumbling noises. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
As long as Rex hasn't any vomiting, bloated, pale gums, belly pain, or known exposures to anything harmful; then we would be wary but not alarmed at this stage.
That said, if he has a rumbly upset gut, then it'd be advisable to start some supportive care as you monitor him today. To try to reduce that upset causing that increased gut noise, I would suggest considering treating him with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if Rex has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that is on board, do try tempting him with a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And this can be offered for a few days to just offset any upset that may be lurking.
Overall, with the sudden onset of his signs, we'd not be alarmed but can take some of the above steps to soothe that upset and see if we can get him back to eating. Of course, if he doesn't settle or shows any of the signs I noted, then we'd want to have him checked by your local vet to make sure there is nothing more worrisome afoot.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )