Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Both my cats are on methemazol . and now both of

Customer Question

Both my cats are on methemazol for thyroid. and now both of them have dry brittle fur that they shed a lot. Is there something over the counter I can safely give them for this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
We do sometimes see a loss in normal coat quality for cats with thyroid disease and on this treatment. Therefore, instead of using olive oil, I would suggest supplementing both cats with Omega 3 fatty acids. These tend to contain more essential fatty acids (EFAs), which is a key part of maintaining skin cell and coat health. To administer this, you can given each cat 1.5-2.5 ml fish oil per 4kg of body weigh (Avoid cod liver oil as its too rich in vitamin A for cats). Alternatively, you can offer a small volume of fresh salmon weekly. If they do not like fish, then there are alternative EFA therapies available OTC at vets, pet stores, and online. Common ones I use for my patients are Viacutin or Yumega. These can take a few weeks to get into their system, but will help restore their coat quality and reduce this brittleness.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )