Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Small dog. About 14 lbs kicked off zinc oxide sunblock from

Customer Question

Small dog. About 14 lbs kicked off zinc oxide sunblock from a child's face. What should I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much do you think he had (a spoonful, more, less)?
How is he just now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Less than a spoonful. He seems fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just licked 2-3 1 inch stripes on a child's face
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if he has just had less then spoonful, then our main concerns would be GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling). It is high doses of zinc oxide (usually when they eat a whole tube of diaper cream) that can cause our more serious signs. Furthermore, I would note that if a dog is going to develop upset from this, we tend to see these signs within 4 hours of ingestion. Therefore, his lack of signs are positive so far.
At this stage, with this all in mind, we do have a few options. To start, we can give your lad some milk (ideally lactose free) to coat the stomach and reduce irritation in the throat and stomach. As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce any risk here.
Otherwise, we will want to take some steps to keep his stomach settled over the next 24 hours. To do so, consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, this is quite a small dose for his signs and his lack of signs are positive. Therefore, at this point, we would use the above to reduce his stomach irritation and keep his stomach settled after this wee misadventure.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )