DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My Chihuahua is 14 years old. He walked off our porch yesterday

Customer Question

My Chihuahua is 14 years old. He walked off our porch yesterday which is about five foot high. He yelped but wouldn't let me pick him up. He is walking but seems to be in pain. He vomited three times after the fall and since just keeps hiding under the bed. Not sure if I should just leave him alone or try to get him to a vet.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry to hear that rascal is injured. I would highly recommend getting him to a vet. He needs a thorough exam to check for back, neck or head injuries that could cause significant chronic problems if not treated. The vet will likely give some dog pain meds and maybe some steroids if a significant injury is found. I hope you are able to get him in soon. In the meantime makes sure he stays well hydrated and don't force him to eat if he us vomiting. I hope this helps. Best wishes.