Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My pitbull mix dog was outside early this morning playing.

Customer Question

My pitbull mix dog was outside early this morning playing. When she came back in, she is very sad looking and is drooling profusely. She wouldn't eat her breakfast from the bowl but took it when fed by hand. I can't find any injuries on her, nothing seems to hurt but she is still sad and drooling.
She seems to be alert and her energy is okay (less than normal though as she is only a year old and quite hyper)
What could be causing this? Her last check up was 3 months ago and she was fine yesterday. It's Saturday and both our vet offices are closed. Is this an emergency or is it safe to watch and see if she snaps out of it?
PS, her dog buddy she was outside with came back perfectly fine. Usually if one gets into something, they both dp.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Helllo,Sorry to hear about this concern for Chance.Having recently been outside, I must be suspicious that something was ingested or the possiblity of a insect bite/sting reaction. Another concern would be a recent seizure event. So, generally, profuse and acute onset drooling is more of an emergency. Also, double check inside the mouth and on the roof of the mouth to ensure there is nothing stuck in there. Many times, I have found stems of plants stuck in the mouth. Certainly, if this is persisting longer than an hour, absolutely well worth a more immediate check up. If nauseated, To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include 1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg. 2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes. You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet. 4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much. Good Luck!Dr. Andy
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chance. How is everything going?