Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has a hot spot on her neck , we have cut back the hair cleaned it well, but what

Customer Question

My dog has a hot spot on her neck
, we have cut back the hair cleaned it well, but what can we do to Help her stop itching the area?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again and thanks for waiting. Sorry to hear your Bulldog is uncomfortable but I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Hot Spot is a type of moist dermatitis and I have known owners successfully self treat it with 0.5% or 1% hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for four or five days. Many vets may take this route in combination with antibiotics. It is important to clip the hair from round the affected area as you have done, and also clean the area with warm salt water and gently dab it dry with some clean kitchen paper before you apply the hydrocortisone cream.2. At the end of the day Hot Spot although a minor condition can be demanding to treat even by experienced vets and it could be that you might need prescription drugs such as antibiotics so contact your vet if this lesion do not quickly heal. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
I should have said that hydrocortisone cream is an over the counter " human " product ... Regards, ***** *****
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your Bulldog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the " hot spot "
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.