Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My boxer mix has just started taking mexiletine hydrochloride

Customer Question

my bull boxer mix has just started taking mexiletine hydrochloride 200 mg 2x aday to slow his heart rate but his rate is going faster should i be concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. The adverse effect profile of mexiletine includes GI distress including vomiting, central nervous system effects (trembling, unsteadiness, dizziness, depression), shortness of breath, premature ventricular contractions, and chest pain. A more rapid heart rate following administration of this drug may indicate premature ventricular contractions. It would be prudent to stop administration of this drug following consultation with the prescribing vet who knows better the current state of Rocky's heart than I.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.