Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

K, Have an 8yr old Rottie w multiple tumors on his liver but liver

Customer Question

Hi K,
Have an 8yr old Rottie w multiple tumors on his liver but liver values were ok. Has intense pancreatitis symptoms w 15400 lipase but no tumor seen (2 vets assumed it has spread on the backside) No surgery, no chemo, no treatment.... Just gave me the 3-6 months to live and meds.
They put him on Prednisone 20mg, Metro 500mg for his poops and Mirta 15mgs for appetite.
Long story long - 1 month in after some success (going for his leash, playing, and barking at the TV etc.. normal doggie behavior), today he is an unfortunate sad seal on land rt now. Very difficult to move, tummy is incredibly swollen. Been laying most of the day because of the massive water and pressure in his belly. They also gave me Tramadol 50mg, so i gave him 2 of those to see if he'd hap it off.
I need to get rid of this water immediately, i think if left untreated it will begin to impede his breathing.
Called vet, she was gone. Waited to see or speak to the other vet on staff and they could not
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt. Dr. K is currently offline. If you would like, I can help you with your question. If you would like to wait for Dr. K to get online, I can opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, please do Matt - assert yourself. Time is everything right now. I wrote to K, because she popped up.Please Opt IN and throw some expertise at this - any info would be helpful!!!
Thnks
J
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the reply. I am sorry to hear that your Rottie has developed masses on his liver. Even though his liver values are normal any abnormality such as a mass can cause the liver cells and blood vessels in the liver to not function correctly. This can cause fluid to collect in the abdominal cavity which is called ascites. The masses on the liver could also be secreting fluid which then also collects in his abdomen which can cause the extreme distention that you are seeing. There are a couple of different ways to treat ascites in dogs. The quickest solution is to have the fluid manually drained out with a needle. This procedure is called an abdominocentesis. This procedure needs to be performed by a vet though therefore since your vet is gone you would have to take him to an emergency vet. Most dogs tolerate this procedure well with no sedation required. This procedure does not prevent more fluid from collecting but most dogs will feel instantly better with the pressure gone. The second way to reduce the fluid is to start him on a diuretic medication such as spironolactone or lasix. These medications will cause him to urinate more often though are generally quite safe. The only limitation is that these medications do not instantly remove the fluid and sometimes will only help remove some of the fluid as the abdomen is a tough location for these medications to eliminate all fluid. The last treatment option is to treat and cure the underlying cause of the fluid which unfortunately is usually not possible without drastic surgery and putting him through a lot of discomfort. Therefore I usually do not recommend this option. There are really not any home care treatments that will work for ascites, therefore if you do have an emergency vet I would consider taking him there this weekend to have the fluid drained if possible.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you not see the rest of my post. I literally jumped on here for one specific question - Can I give him Hydrochlorothiazide for ascites as an emergency until my vet gets back - I.e. Is Hydro safe for dogs on a limited basis or not.Matt did not tell me anything i did not know unfortunately. Needed a yes or no immediate answer and i got a general mash up.
Terrible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that message up top is the only one from my question that you are looking at then you missed essentially the entire purpose for this write up and using this service. Not mad at you Matt - process, lacks here and i have no time for it, literally.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will never use nor suggest this site to anyone - certainly not where haste makes life or death.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry - I reviewed your original question and did not see any information on whether or not hydrochlorothiazide can be given today.In all fairness, I did answer the question that was originally typed in. If you had typed more information that was not posted then I apologize as it is not posted above. Please feel free to ask more questions at any time. I am only here to help you.I can definitely help you with your question on Hydrochlorothiazide. Hydrochlorothiazide is another diuretic medication that can be used for ascites in dogs at a dose 1 mg/kg every 12-24 hours. This medication should be only prescribed and used when directed by your veterinarian though. This medication is safe to be used for a limited basis though has a better effect when used long term. Unfortunately a medication like this is also not very good at removing the fluid quickly though can be given to gradually reduce the ascites. This medication is also recommended to be used with other diuretics such as Spironolactone also as the two medications work better together to increase the fluid reduction.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Useless - mobile vet ( was really trying to avoid this w some added expertise) is en route. There was no question in the top half, that's me explaining the situation. You didn't say a single word I haven't already heard. Bottom half had the meds and the question. Complete waste of time. Your service is terrible and regrettable. Do not contact me again.