Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Have a 7-year-old Cockapoo, full male. He apparently needs

Customer Question

Have a 7-year-old Cockapoo, full male. He apparently needs to be fixed. He's upset, pees everywhere when outside, wants to go outside. Some dogs upset him, some don't. Is he too old to be fixed? Is there something I can give him to lessen his discomfirt prior to being fixed?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping I can help you out with your question regarding your Cockapoo. I see that he has been on Prednisone in the past. Is he still currently taking this medication? If he is, prednisone may be contributing to him wanting to urinate everywhere when he is outside unless this is not a new behavior. As far as him being too old to be fixed, I have done surgery on older dogs with no problem. But with his age I would recommend a full physical exam by your veterinarian first to rule out any medical problems that may cause a problem for anesthesia. Cockapoos and other small breeds can sometimes be prone to heart disease which can be picked up during an exam. Next I would recommend pre-operative bloodwork to make sure the liver and kidneys are in good shape. These organs are responsible for metabolizing the anesthetic drugs to help your dog recover from surgery. You may also consider having a catheter and intravenous fluids for your dog's surgery which can help speed up recovery. As far as giving him something to lessen his discomfort, it would depend on what is causing it. If he uncomfortable because he is not fixed, once fixed he should be fine. If he has something else going on that is causing him to urinate frequently, once that is diagnosed and treated he will be happier. Hopefully I was able to provide you with the information that you requested. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need further information.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dwight Alleyne