How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Elaine Your Own Question
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1388
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Elaine is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog has had a Benadryl capsule containing 8mg of acrivastine.

Customer Question

My dog has had a Benadryl capsule containing 8mg of acrivastine. I believe that there may be pseudoephedrine in this medication. My dog is a Jack Russel Terrier and weighs about 17-18lbs (8kg). She seems fine in herself and had lots of food around the time of ingestion which was probably about 4 hours ago.
Many thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
HI there, this is Dr. Elaine
At this point in time (4 hours post-ingestion) if no signs are visible, you are unlikely to see any. It is too late to induce vomiting, although not too late for a veterinarian to administer activated charcoal if she had ingested quite a bit more than just one. I am assuming this was an accidental ingestion.
Her heart rate may have been a bit higher than normal, but if it were racing she might appear pale (her gums) or panting.
Actually, some individuals will actually show signs of drowsiness with this combination, but again, no signs after 4 hours at this dose, which is not dangerous, indicates little cause for worry.
Let me know if you have any other concerns.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine