Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have been advised to spread some Epsom salt around a planter

Customer Question

I have been advised to spread some Epsom salt around a planter to get rid of snugs. Will this be harmful to my cat and dog if they get into it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
This is actually a very good question although you probably know that Epsom salts aren't really a "true" salt but primarily magnesium.
Regardless, if your lab ingested a sufficient amount of this material, then it could cause an electrolyte imbalance and could potentially cause some issues. If only a small amount was eaten, then you might see loose stools issues and nothing more.
I can't imagine a cat ingesting enough of this material to cause problems for him/her other than loose stool issues.
So, basically, this material wouldn't be harmless if eaten but in small amounts shouldn't cause harm.
Of course, there may be no way of regulating how much Shelby might eat since labs do tend to lack a bit of common sense with it comes to dietary indiscretion issues!
If at all possible, I'd prevent access to the area if you do decide to use the Epsom Salts.
I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Shelby. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb