Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a very old dog.. I was already told to consider putting

Customer Question

I have a very old dog.. I was already told to consider putting him down in the near future today he ate a huge bowl of dog food in one sitting we have more than one dog and this one normally just guards it.. But today he ate it all before we realized it. Could he be doing this out of knowing he is going to pass soon? The other dogs were not even near that bowl today
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need a answer.. Tried putting food down and he just eats n eats. This is new and he's breathing hard I know its because he is really trying to just eat everything. The bowl of food was big enough for him to sit in
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Michelle-Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such polyphagia (increased hunger) doesn't demonstrate food guarding against your other dogs or impending death but, instead, a diabetic, cushingoid, or hyperthyroid dog. Teddy needs to see his vet at your earliest convenience for a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and possibly X-rays or ultrasound. It's very possible that his behavior indicates a treatable disease even at his advanced age.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ty he just had a check up 5 months ago and was told his kidneys are bad. I will get him in asap. People were telling me he was gorging himself to just die. You put a relief like you wouldn't believe!
People say the strangest things...
You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.