Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 month old Rottweiler ingested a bottle of my fiancé's

Customer Question

My 7 month old Rottweiler ingested a bottle of my fiancé's Renvela containing 10 tabs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long ago did he have this?How much does he weigh?Was this the 800mg version?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anywhere between 6:30 am and 10:45 am; he weighs abt 80 lbs and it was not Renvela it was Fosrenol 1000 mg tabs; sorry for my medication mistake
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if he has had 10x1000mg of Fosrenol, then this is a 277mg/kg dose for his size. The good news here is that in studies on dogs with this medication it was found that single oral doses of 2000 mg/kg only caused GI upset (ie vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, gas, cramps, etc).
Therefore, at this stage we have a few options. First, you can err on the side of caution here by treating with activated charcoal This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.
Otherwise, we will want to take some steps to offset that GI upset. To do so we'd want to put him on a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.
Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, thankfully this is a drug that is not easily absorbed from the gut and therefore has a wide safety range. It is too late to induce vomiting at this point, but we can still use the above to support Diesel and offset any GI upset from this tablet stealing misadventure.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best to you all,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)