How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16285
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

3 year old male dog had abscessed and impacted tooth extracted

Customer Question

3 year old male dog had abscessed and impacted tooth extracted on Tuesday 7/21. Since, has been eating but either immediately vomiting or at odd times such as 3 AM last night. Fed baby food, chicken broth, canned soft food, etc. On Novox and Tramadol.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vet does not have any openings today and the vet performing the procedure is not back until Monday. How long should I wait before he is seen and is there anything else I can try?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, these signs of GI upset are not what we'd expect with his recent dental issue. Instead, this suggests that we have nausea either related to his medication (especially as the Novox can cause stomach irritation in sensitive dogs) or a possible unrelated GI bug. In this case, since his vet is not open today, we can try to settle his stomach at home at this stage. Of course, if he cannot keep down our oral treatments or doesn't settle over today, we may need to have a check with another local vet since we don't want this going on over the weekend and risk dehydration. Now to start, I would suggest giving him a break from the Novox. We can do this for 24 hours, or will want to stop it as long as he has vomiting. Further to that, we can try to allay his nausea by treating with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are to give 30 minutes before food are:*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)Of course, we'd want to check with his vet first if he does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any medication you didn’t mention. But this way we can reduce the effects the medication may be playing and try to soothe his stomach. If he settles with this, we can then start a light diet over the weekend. With this, we would want to start with a small volume (a spoonful) to start. Examples would be cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also vet prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). When you offer that spoonful, give him 30 minutes to settle. If he keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As his tummy stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of the easily digestible diet is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until he is settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.Overall, we do need to tread with care if he cannot keep anything down and so nauseous. Therefore, do stop his Novox just now and start him on an antacid. If he settles, then we are happy and can treat him with this and the light diet over the weekend until you can contact his vet and update them. Otherwise, if he doesn't settle with this, then we'd be best to have him checked by another vet in the area to just make sure there is no opportunistic infection present that needs to be addressed and get him treated with injectable anti-vomiting medication to settle his stomach for us. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )