Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I live in South Florida. I found out a few months ago that

Customer Question

I live in South Florida. I found out a few months ago that my 12 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi has the beginning stages of Degenerative Myelopathy. Otherwise, she’s happy, alert, very smart, generally healthy, and swims in our pool every weekend. During the visit, I asked about renewing her vaccinations. The veterinarian said that because of her age that her vaccinations weren't necessary. However, this was the first time I saw this particular Dr. at the practice, and I think the last time I’ll go there, since the appointments always take 3 hours or more. A practice that I’ve been to once in the past just moved about a quarter mile from our house and I’ve been planning to make an appointment just to establish a relationship with them and my aging Corgi.
Last night, when I opened the slider to take my dog out, we encountered a mother raccoon and 3 of her babies (I would estimate a few months old). My dog ran after them, they ran away, and then one turned to confront her. They tangled and it sounded violent. I separated them as my dog yelped (which she does under stress sometimes, not necessarily because of pain). It was dark, it happened fast, and I don’t know if it was the mother or one of the babies. (I know it was a mother and babies because the mother and 1 baby went into one very tall tree, and 2 babies went into a small tree nearby.)
I brought my dog inside, under bright light, and checked her all over. I checked her skin all over, feet, ears, gums, and eyes. I wasn’t able to find a single scratch on her! She has been recently shaved because she swims all the time, so it would be pretty easy to see a wound or abrasion.
I called this morning to find out she had a 3-year rabies vaccination almost 3 years ago (due in just over a month). All of her other vaccinations have expired.
She doesn’t have any wounds or abrasions, the raccoons were all acting “normal”, and reunited in the same tree after about a half hour. There hasn’t been a reported case of rabies in my county in some time, but there was a story in 3 months ago about a few raccoons caught nearby with distemper.
On one hand, the consequences of rabies are so great that it’s prudent not to take any risks, which is why I called and scheduled a vet appointment (with the new vet) later today. On the other hand I'm not sure I want to mention this to the vet and potentially put my dog into a mandatory system that might require her to endure quarantine, extreme treatment, or something worse (when she wasn't wounded). Some states require that this quarantine be carried out in an approved animal control facility, while others may allow the quarantine to be carried out at the owner’s home. I’m not sure what Florida will require.
My dog doesn’t have contact with any other animals at all. When she goes outside, she’s in a fenced area (the raccoons were small enough to get in through the vertical openings, but she can’t get out).
Can you please give me some advice what to do? Should I watch her at home for the next 10 days and hope for the best, ***** ***** I keep my appointment today and, well… hope for the best?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
In the great majority of cases, a pet such as yours who is still current on her rabies vaccine will be immediately boostered and you'll be asked to quarantine her at home for the next 10 days. Please keep the appointment. The vet may also recommend prophylactic antibiotics in case you missed a bite wound puncture that might end up abscessing without an antibiotic on board. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?