Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our rough collie, almost 10 months old has had 3 bouts of diarrhea

Customer Question

Our rough collie, almost 10 months old has had 3 bouts of diarrhea over the last 24 hours. No fever, pain, lethargy; stools are not black or tarry. She is very hungry.mafter the first bout we fed her boiled chicken and rice, albeit a large amount. She had no bouts after last nights feeding but just had a bout this morning. How should we proceed to feed her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. First, your light diet there is perfect. Though I would advise feeding small volumes frequently as opposed to a large amount in one meal. This will give her stomach more time to digest what she is having and that will reduce her diarrhea load. Otherwise, do make sure she is up to date on worming (a common cause of diarrhea in the young dog) and as long as you have seen no blood either, you can consider starting her on an anti-diarrheal treatment to slow things down for her gut and help normalize her stools. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if she has happened to pick up a GI bug, but this should help settle any upset from those dietary indiscretion. As well, these can also aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. In regards ***** ***** options for her, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are :* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)Both are available from your local pharmacy, but be aware that Pepto Bismol will stain her stools black but that is incidental and not a sign of any internal bleeds as normal black stool would be. Otherwise, Pro-Pectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (both are available at some pet stores, OTC at vets, or even on Amazon) would be other options you could use. All will slow diarrhea and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. Overall, you have taken a good first step here with Bella Luna and we'd just want to use the above while offering water and monitoring her hydration to help settle this for her. If it is stubborn and doesn't settle, then a check up and fecal test would be the ideal next steps for her. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )