Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate an ear of corn. Vet is suggesting to induce. I thought

Customer Question

My dog ate an ear of corn. Vet is suggesting to induce. I thought that can be dangerous due to possible damage to the throat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting. I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Well it is true that there are always very slight risks when you induce vomiting in a dog, but they are only slight. You have to balance this against the strong possibility of an intestinal obstruction if your dog ate a corn cob whole. You see a corn cob is just the right size to cause abdominal tract obstruction and indeed this is very common in my experience when dogs swallow such objects. An intestinal tract obstruction is of course a very serious situation and in almost all cases major abdominal tract surgery is needed to save the dog's life. 2. In this sort of situation I would probably have given the same advice as your vet, for the sake of speed I will give you a link to a very accurate article which covers how to best induce vomiting in dogs. { This is best done within the first hour after the object was swallowed } : LINK 3. However if you fail to retrieve the corn cob by inducing vomiting you should monitor Ripley for symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if any such occur contact your vet without delay. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Ripley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the ear of corn incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Tami,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ripley. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please stop emailing me. If I need further assistance I will reach out then.