Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog scratches himself pretty much constantly. The skin on

Customer Question

My dog scratches himself pretty much constantly. The skin on the underside of his legs and belly is red and has brown spots, and his fur is sparse in those areas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I do understand how frustrating these conditions can be to treat. Unfortunately often the underlying cause is a contact allergy of some kind and these issues will continue to recur over and over because the allergen is often in the environment such as dust, grass, pollen as stimulants and causes. Especially when the paws, underside and armpit/ groin areas are involved because these are the areas most commonly in contact with the environmentYou can treat locally with an oatmeal-based dog shampoo initially twice daily with ten minute contact time to reduce the inflammation and allergens contact with the body. Once the redness is resolving then you can taper the frequency of the baths hopefully to as needed. Next you can use benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch and chewing to give him relief. This might cause mild sedation. In addition beginning a fish oil supplement with 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily and ensuring he is on a high quality organic diet with no by products will also promote a healthy coat and skin...In some situations that are more severe if you are able to identify the allergen with serum allergy testing then you can begin hyposensitization with either subcutaneous injections or the oral formula. This can be successful in reducing the frequency of infections but often they do not resolve completely. Just as we can have seasonal allergies or contact allergies so can our pets and the steroid cream helps because it suppresses the immune response to the allergen at that location for a short period of time. If only we had a longterm cure my allergies in the Spring would go away as well! But unfortunately technology has not progressed to that point so we are left with trying to minimize the signs and keep ourselves and our pets as comfortable as possible.Here is a link to allergy testing and treatment:http://www.heska.com/Products/ALLERCEPT/ALLERCEPT.aspxHere is a link to information on allergic dermatitis in dogs:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/allergic-dermatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspxPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sue. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman