Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My baby, chico, woke me up last week yelping in pain. i thought

Customer Question

my baby, chico, woke me up last week yelping in pain. i thought maybe he tried to jump up on the bed and lost his balance. as the day went on he was shaking terribly and would hide ubder furniture. he has been walking around, as if pacing then he stops and hides again. I took him to the vet who discovered he has a heart murmur. he took blood and the results were normal. he gave me rimadyl and vetmedin. i gave him the vetmedin about an hour ago and suddenly his neck swelled to the point i had to remove his collar. he is now resting but hiding out also. he's barely eaten and doesn't drink much water. he's a chichuahua, 9 years old. i take him back to the vet tomorrow. for 2 days he showed signs that he was feeling better but now it seems as though he's having a relaspe. i'm at wits end. sharon j
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Based on what you write I assume he did have an initial response to the medications, but now he is having the pain again. The scenario you describe sounds awfully suspicious to have spinal pain which can come from a slipped disk or inflammation/infection in the spine (this is much less common). When we have pain that is not resolving, then we must consider further testing. Your vet should perform an exam again to see if this time (s)he can isolate the location of the pain. If found to be the neck, then either you could elect to have your vet take X-rays, which may require sedation or you could get your vet to refer you to a neurologist since advanced imaging (MRI or CT) is much better for imaging the spine.Alternatively, you could discuss trying a different pain medication for him.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.