Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

If my dog Sam has the regular canine influenza and not the

Customer Question

If my dog Sam has the regular canine influenza and not the new strand of canine influenza, could the canine influenza vaccine have protected him from catching the regular canine influenza?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Previous outbreak of canine influenza (CIV) started in 2004 and involved H3N8 strain; this strain remained in the US dog population and sporadically causes disease here and there. In 2015, a new strain (H3N2) is closely related to an Asian CIV virus circulating in China and S. Korea. The vaccine available is protective against the H3N8 strain and not the new H3N2 strain. So, if Sam was infected with the "old" strain then he would have been protected against it by the vaccine; this is unlikely because the "new" strain was the one involved in the recent outbreaks.Hope this helps!
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?

Dr. Gene