Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I was wondering, my dog likes to pick up rocks (small ones)

Customer Question

I was wondering, my dog likes to pick up rocks (small ones) and appears to be chewing the rock and I am not sure if he is actually eating it because I can't catch him to check what is in his mouth. Is it possible that a dog would eat rocks????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Yes, it is very possible that he would he them. Rocks have been known to cause foreign body obstructions in dogs. Why they do it is hard to say. Some dogs just like chewing on them (can fracture their teeth). Some dogs will grab them as a play toy and see if they can get someone to chase them around with it in their mouth. It becomes a game to them. It is difficult to keep them from getting the rocks. If they have access to them, then they will get them. In most cases, you just have to remove them from the source or remove the source from them. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Benji. How is everything going?

Dr. John