Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

My dog was trying to remove thistles from his tail and go some

Customer Question

my dog was trying to remove thistles from his tail and go some in his mouth. what can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine. I'd like to ask you a few questions. What do the thistles look like (how large, straight and sharp or round like burs, etc)? Is he foaming or pawing at his mouth? Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
I will be back on line after 8am
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are small , straight and sharp and the bulb is quite soft . he keeps liking around his mouth and trying to cough it up
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks.Without sedation at a veterinary office, your options are going to be quite limited. I have had success in dealing with my own and clients' dogs in dealing with tooth cleanings/exams by doing the following: Get him to lay on his side, calming him by qietly petting/stroking. Gently "play" with his mouth to get him used to you touching in this area without really doing anything about the stickers. As you gently lift up his lips, you may see where and how many are stuck,and thereby may be able to pull them/it out. Benedryl can help with sedation by making him sleepy (dose is about 1mg per pound body weight)--these come in 25 and 50mg capsules most often, although there is a children's liquid available. Coughing and gagging can indicate that some of the thistles or parts of them have collected in and about his tonsil area. Dogs have tonsils that sit in little "bags" of tissue which wrap around them. These pockets trap plant material like grass, awns, and sometimes need to be removed under anesthesia, since there is no other way to do a deep exam of this area without eliciting a gag reflex. Sometimes, material that is trapped in the tonsil area will soften and dislodge itself over a period of days, but any longer than this means it is unlikely to without help from your veterinarian. Kindly, Dr. Elaine
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tramp. How is everything going?

Dr. Elaine