Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

My grandchildren seem to be allergic to my dogs saliva is there

Customer Question

My grandchildren seem to be allergic to my dogs saliva is there any way you could change the chemicals in there saliva with a change of diet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello there!. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hope I can help you out with your question concerning Remi. I see that you noted that you think that your grandchildren are allergic to your dog's saliva. What make you think that? Do they develop a rash when Remi licks them? If your grandchildren are indeed allergic Remi's saliva, then they are likely allergic to the enzymes in the saliva. Saliva has 2 main enzymes called amylase and ptyalin which are used to break down starch in the foods. Unfortunately their is no diet change that could affect these enzymes. What you may need to do is take your grandchildren to an human allergy clinic and they may be able to find a treatment that may help your grandchildren with any reactions to Remi's saliva. Hopefully this information helps you and your grandchildren out so they can enjoy Remi. Let me know if you have any further questions.