Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My Chloe is a shih tsu, 15 years old. last night she panted

Customer Question

my Chloe is a shih tsu, 15 years old. last night she panted of and on for 2 hrs.
Is there a problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned that Chloe's episode of panting consistently for a couple of hours last night.Is she eating normally and does she seem herself otherwise? If so those are good signs.Panting can be due to poor oxygenation. In an older dog that can be from heart disease, including heart valve disease, heartworm, and cardiomyopathy, though generally dogs with heart disease and poor oxygenation don't eat well.Panting can also be secondary to lung or airway disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a bacterial, viral or fungal pneumonia, a foreign body in the airways, lungworm, tracheal collapse/disease or laryngeal paralysis. Unfortunately in an old dog a tumor or multiple masses in the lungfields are also possible. In small breed, older dogs we see quite a bit of tracheal collapse, so if her breathing in general seems loud or she does a lot of coughing with excitement or exercise then that would be a good possibility.Anemia as a primary disease or secondary to kidney failure or internal bleeding can also cause panting.Is she having trouble exercising for her normal length of time recently that seems to have come along with the panting?Panting can also be related to pain or anxiety. Our older friends can suffer from arthritis, and as their senses dull (especially hearing and sight) they can become more anxious and confused which can lead to more panting. Does she have a history of joint disease, or is she overweight?Does she seem worried or anxious otherwise?What color are her gums and tongue? If they are a nice bubblegum pink I am less worried. If they are white, or blue-gray then I am more concerned and she should see her veterinarian as soon as possible.Because she is an older girl and this is new for her an examination by her veterinarian is best. But if her color is good and she is eating normally then this isn't an emergency, I would have her seen at your earliest convenience.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi Maryann,

I'm just following up on our conversation about 15. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara