Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I need to know what to treat with how often and how much for

Customer Question

I need to know what to treat with how often and how much for giardia
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I'm sorry to hear that Hallie has been diagnosed with Giardia. The most effective treatment is to use Flagyl (Metronidazole) at a dose of 25 mg/kg or 12mgs per pound of body weight twice daily and Panacur (fenbendazole) at a dose of 50 mg/kg or 23mgs per pound once daily concurrently for 5 days. Two treatments should be done 3 to 4 weeks apart. You should also bathe your pup mid way and at the end of the 5 days of treatment to remove any possible cysts stuck on her coat. The other concern is the environment. If there are streams, ponds or areas of standing water that is likely where she picked them up and could reinfect herself after treatment so access to those areas should be limited. Here is a link to the Companion Animal Parasite Council's website page on giardia which is the definitive, most recent findings and recommendations on parasite control in dogs and cats:http://www.capcvet.org/capc-recommendations/giardia Best of luck with her treatment, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
My apologies although this was listed under dog veterinary it appears that Hallie is a goat.There is no drug is licensed for the treatment of giardiasis in ruminants. Fenbendazole or albendazole (5–20 mg/kg/day or 2.3mgs to 9 mgs per pound of body weight per day for 3 days) significantly reduces cyst excretion and should help. Alternatively Paromomycin (50–75 mg/kg, or 12mgs to 36mgs per pound of body weight per day orally, for 5 days) can help.The other concern is the environment. If there are streams, ponds or areas of standing water that is likely where she picked them up and could reinfect herself after treatment so access to those areas should be limited. If her pasture is overly wet she should be moved to a drier area.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hallie. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara