Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My name is ***** ***** dog Lilly is a miniature yorkie/maltese

Customer Question

hello - my name is ***** ***** dog Lilly is a miniature yorkie/maltese and all of the sudden she began squinting - everything else is normal
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Kelli and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. The cause of sweet Lilly's squinting could be due to many things. The most common would be a photosensitivity caused by problems with her pupillary reflex. It also could be due to the formation of cataracts. Allergic reactions will cause this as well. The first thing, Kelli, to try is to give Lilly Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs. If this does not resolve this condition, have your vet examine her eyes to see what could be causing this....there are many conditions that can cause this and since she is older, only testing will help determine the cause for your sweet Lilly's condition. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****