Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Is it safe to give my dog zantac or pepcid and which one is

Customer Question

Is it safe to give my dog zantac or pepcid and which one is better for the dog
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. It seems that your guy may have a minor digestive disturbance. If this is the case, follow these instructions: Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If he is feeling better, wean him back to his regular diet. Zantac can be used also but I have better effects from Pepcid AC. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks. I was a vet tech for 15 years and never thought to ask the vet this question. I apprecieat the prompt answer.
You are very welcome...I hope your guy feels better.