Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog I rescue will not let me trim his nails. He yells and

Customer Question

My dog I rescue will not let me trim his nails. He yells and bites me and jerks. I don't want to sedate him to trim his nails but I need to do something. Any suggestions
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. This is very common in some dogs and you will need to work on "DEsensitization". BY this I mean that you take small steps to touch your guys feet and when he relaxes, give him a treat and praise him. It ay help to give him 2 mg per pound of benadryl which will make him drowsy so you can touch his toes without him going crazy. Take this very slow by touching his toes many times a day and giving treats...eventually, your guy will allow you to cut his nails. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****