Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We recently brought a Shichon puppy into the family. He is about 12

Customer Question

We recently brought a Shichon puppy into the family. He is about 12 weeks old and is constantly scratching his neck and ears. He shows no signs of fleas and is on a puppy food free of fillers. Do you have any idea what we can do to help him. I know Shih Tzus are prone to skin issues, but not sure of my path forward. Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now if Oliver is scratching around his neck and ears, we do have a few concerns. First, I would note that if he is wearing a collar, this is not an uncommon reason for them to show this behavior. Otherwise, if we don't have a situation where he is adjusting to wearing a collar; then we'd need to consider possible ear issues (infection, ear mites, etc) or a potential skin allergy brewing. And while other issues like ringworm, bacterial infections, juvenile dermatitis, and mite infestations of the skin could also cause these signs, I would put them lower on my list for him since you didn't mention any changes (ie pimples, pustules, ulcers, scabs, sores, etc) to the skin itself. In this case, if we want to rule out mites, fleas, lice or any other creepy crawlie, you can consider treating him for these with a spot on preparation. The preferable ones in this situation (as it would cover ear mites as well as skin parasites) would be Advantage Multi/Advocate, Revolution, or Stronghold. These are all available from your vet, as long as they have a recent weight for him (and thus can dispense the right dose). Otherwise, to rule out a mild allergy here, you can also consider a trial on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine for these cases (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5 mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation for him. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lad has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Finally, if he is very irritated, then we can also try bathing him in an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based ones, etc). These can just used in the irritated area and can help reduce that need to scratch for him. Overall, we do have a few concerns for his signs. So, do consider the above to start ruling those common issues out. If he doesn't settle, then we may need to have a check with his vet to ensure there isn't anything more irritating lurking and causing him to scratch. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We did have him start wearing a collar when we this past week. I gave him a bath with Johnson's baby shampoo, but will try an oatmeal based one this weekend. I guess the first thing I will do when I get home is take the collar off and see if he settles down at all. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,I agree it is best to try the collar off first, since that so commonly causes them to scratch without a health reason to do so. Otherwise, the above would be our plan of attack for those common health issues that could also trigger this. All the best,Dr. B.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns,please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I canto provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oliver. How is everything going?

nekovet