Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Yesterday my dog ate some Mexican Feather Grass. I pulled alot

Customer Question

Yesterday my dog ate some Mexican Feather Grass. I pulled alot of it out of her mouth but she still swallowed some. When we came in the house she began panting and acting restless. Then she began tearing apart and eating the blue pee pads I put on the floor for her. Then she made herself throw up which now she has the blue pads in her stool. Still this morning she is restless and panting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. While neither the grass nor the pee pads are toxic to dogs, gastrointestinal obstruction due to either remains a consideration in any dog who hasn't normalized within 24 hours. Inappetence and vomiting are the tell-tale signs of obstruction and should prompt having X-rays or ultrasound of her gastrointestinal tract performed. Please respond with additional information further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog seems to have recovered from the ingestion. Snickers pooped for days with blue and white pee pads in her stool but all is clear now. There is no more choking action going on either.
Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.