Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I purchased barking collars dogs and after a week

Customer Question

Hi I purchased barking collars for my dogs and after a week one of my dogs has got two very deep holes from the prongs and it's pussy and very smelly I've got iodine spray for dogs for it and antibiotics do I need to be doing more ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What antibiotics are you using?How long have they been present? How long have you been treating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We just noticed it this afternoon and we cleaned the wounds with water and sprayed it with iodine spray for dogs and the antibiotics are the same the vet have them when he was de sexed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Do you know which type they are (since some are better for treating wounds then others)?Did you just start them today as well?Has he gained weight since they were dispensed? If he has, his dose will have changed, so do let me know how much Bruiser weighs now and what the milligrams are of the antibiotic as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I gave him only one this afternoon ,he weighs 25 kilos no he hasn't he's the same weight since then, the tablet is enrofloxacin it is 150mg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,If he has not gained weight, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it means that this dose is fine for him. And if you just started it, then we'd obviously need to give it time to work. Generally speaking, we will treat for 7-10 days. So, we would want to use this once daily for that duration to ensure we clear the bacteria causing this pus and prevent an abscess developing deep in the tissues. At the same time, we don't want to just spray the area. If we have punctures, then they need flushing. You can use dilute iodine or even salt water to do this. We want to use a syringe (without a needle) to flush the inside of the wound 2-3 times daily. All pus needs to be washed away. Afterwards, you can also choose to apply Neosporin into the punctures to again reduce bacterial infection and get this healing for him. Overall, your approach so far has been quite good. We just want to make sure to be more aggressive with the cleaning and flushing of these wounds to remove as much pus/bacteria as possible as we let the Enrofloxacin do its job by treating from the inside out to help clear this, aid healing, and get this all settled for him. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )