Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Every night last three nights my dog has thrown up

Customer Question

Every night for the last three nights my dog has thrown up some undigested food. It looks like he's eaten something he shouldn't have because I noticed a qtip in his stool yesterday. He's his normal self all the time. Eats the food provided for him. Drinks water and doesn't seem to have any other side effects besides throwing up every night. Is this because he ate something he should have and his tummy is just upset? What should I do to help him get better? There is no blood in his stool or vomit.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.I am glad overall Gizmo seems to be eating/acting normal. On the one hand, the only way to confirm there is something unusual in his stomach and gauge if this is something we can safely help to pass through the system or if it is too large to pass through is for his veterinarian to take an X-ray.On the other hand, if we have a foreign object that we feel is small enough to safely pass through the intestines then we can often help facilitate this my feeding a high fiber diet for several days. I always recommend using either Hill's Prescription diet w/d or Purina DCO or Royal Canin Gastrointestinal High fiber. The Hill's is easiest because you can use canned food during that time, and the dogs love the food. The high fiber surrounds the object and helps it float through. I've gotten amazing things to pass.On thing you can also do overnight to help the vomiting is to start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine). You should run this by your vet, but it has no anticipated side effects. Usually we do about half of a 10-mg tablet every 12 hours. It reduces stomach acid and aids in nausea.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.