Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 8 year old dog, nickname Wolfie just had a sinking spell,

Customer Question

My 8 year old dog, nickname Wolfie just had a sinking spell, almost seizure like, looked for a place to pee and poop, and did. Very weak and shaky legs, dizzy, fell down after pooping, couldn't get up for a bit. We coaxed her, I brushed and rubbed on her. My husband said get her something else to eat from the fridge, a sausage. She nipped him and broke the skin. We change and give her ice water daily in the summer, totally outdoor dog. My concern is that she broke the skin of my husband's skin. She is up to date on her shots till 3/2016. Could she have heartworms, or just need higher protein food? Very protective, kills anything in the yard. Could she have heart worms, or be sick with something else?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. It is possible that you did see a seizure, but it could have been more of a syncopal episode. Syncopy can be more akin to a fainting spell, but it is usually due to heart problems. Being that she seemed disoriented afterward, I would lean towards a seizure, but it is impossible to say without seeing a video. There is nothing that you mentioned that points to heartworm disease. It is possible she has heartworms, but it would be very rare to have these signs associated with heartworm disease. Now, with either a seizure or syncopy, it is very likely that she is sick with something else. Heart problems, liver problems, kidney problems, cancer and an infection, among other causes are possible. I would have your vet check her out tomorrow and potentially run some bloodwork to see what is going on. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You did not respond to the issue that my husband was bit, is this a scam. Do not charge my account for any more money, I will report you.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry. i know you mentioned your husband being bit, but I did not see a question that was related to your husband being bit. What specific questions do you have about that?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sassy. How is everything going?

Dr. John