Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog was out last walk of the night and he completely

Customer Question

My dog was out for his last walk of the night and he completely ripped off his nail. There are no 24 hr vets in our area what should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he licking the nail? 2- The nail is no longer there, correct? 3- Is he bleeding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put a toddler sock over it. He is trying to lick it over the sock. I got it to stop bleeding by using quikstop. I then washed it with antibacterial soap and put triple antibiotic cream on it. Then I covered it loosely with a toddler sock and taped it. I do not see any nail and I don't see any nerve hanging out. It is basically a dark spot on his paw where the nail used to be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know if there is anything else I should do for him until I can get him to his vet in. The morning. We are new to being dog parents and want to make he won't get an infection. He is not limping or seem to be in any pain.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, you have done everything right for tonight. Tomorrow this is what you can do: 1- Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at the nail. If he licks he will delay healing. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the nail or soak it for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day. 3- After flushing nail as above apply triple antibiotic ointment. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter