Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been vomiting once a day week mixture of a

Customer Question

My dog has been vomiting once a day for a week mixture of a little food and frothy liquid.Has been diagnosed with inflammation of pancreas any suggestions.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What are you feeding?Is he on any treatments for his pancreatitis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chicken and rice with a/d prescription diet and some dry food
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No treatments
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas or go back to vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now I do need a few moments to type my reply on what we can do to help Patches with his signs.Speak to you in a moment,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for being patient, First, I would just note that we need to be careful with using A/D for him. The reason is because often pancreatitis is related to high fat foods. So, you want want to stick to the chicken/rice for now or consider a more pancreas friendly diet like Hills I/D or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control. Otherwise, if we only have mild vomiting and no severe belly pain (which is a major worry when we have pancreatitis), then I would note that further to the light diet, you can start him on an antacid. There are a number of OTC antacids that are pet friendly. Ones you could use here with Patches include: *Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet) I would pick one but each can be used every 12 hours to reduce nausea. And as long as he has no other health issues or is on any medication you didn't note, we can try this here. Of course, if his signs were severe, then we'd need to his vet involved so that stronger anti-vomiting medication could be started +/- pain relief (ie Bupenorphine) if his pancreas was causing him pain. But for dogs with mild signs like this, we tend to use the above to address mild flare-ups.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great help thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )