Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 4 year old dog who stopped eating about

Customer Question

.I have a 4 year old dog who stopped eating about 4 days ago. He spent the night at the vet yesterday and they said there is nothing physically wrong with him. The did blood tests, urine tests, x-rays, gave him fluids, etc. but as of today he still won't eat, and they have no idea why. Do you have any thoughts about what to try next?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear your Schnauzer is showing these symptoms and is not improving with their therapy. I would advise referral to a specialty center to perform, 1.) Abdominal Ultrasound to evaluate thickness of the stomach and intestinal tracts not seen on x-ray along with any other abnormalities that can be missed on an x-ray such as small adrenal glands indicating a risk for Addison's disease, 2.) If the ultrasound is normal then endoscopy which is using a camera to go down the throat and evaluate the esophagus, stomach, proximal small intestine and take biopsies. Often everything can appear very normal and then when the samples are evaluated under the microscope it is found that they have something like Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Food allergy responsive to food trial along with steroids, or a multitude of other conditions that may be missed without biopsy.The advantage to the endoscopy is that they are under anesthesia and simply take the biopsies and he wakes up without an invasive surgery. When I have a case I simply cannot explain their symptoms I will refer to a specialist to get those answers to questions that us as general practitioners may see one case every few years (if at all) while the specialist might see 10 cases/ year so they are more readily adept at diagnosis and treatment.I would advise discussing this with your veterinarian who likely has a specialist they refer to regularly. Alternatively CLICK HERE for a link to specialists in your areaPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today and again I apologize that no one has assisted you both yet today. I truly hope he is feeling better soon If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!