Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog (35#, sheltie mix) ate 10mg of my daughters Latuda,

Customer Question

My dog (35#, sheltie mix) ate 10mg of my daughters Latuda, about an hour ago. He's tired, but seems Ok. I'm typically not home with him right now, but I'm sure he usually sleeps around this time. What adverse signs should I watch for?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now this is not a drug that we use in veterinary medicine for dogs. Still there have been some studies on dogs to assess its safety in people. This means we do have some idea of what issues this can cause and at what doses. Now his size works in our favor, since translates to a ~0.6mg/kg dose. In studies of this drug on dogs, adverse signs like sedation, tremors, lethargy, and abnormal posture didn't arise until 10mg/kg. Therefore, if he is fairly normal after an hour and the dose was this low, he is quite likely to not suffer with the severe signs from this drug. So, in this case and since he is a bit tired, we do have 2 options. First, you can choose to err on the side of caution and consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. (We'd not induce vomiting if he is sedate at all, since we don't want to risk aspiration of vomit into the lungs). This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here. Otherwise, we'd just want to keep him calm and monitor for the next 24 hours. As long as he remains settled and doesn't show those other signs, we can let this run its course. Of course, should any other adverse signs appear, then we'd need to consider having him seen by his vet for IV fluids +/- symptomatic care (ie muscle relaxants, etc). But again in this case, it is a low dose and the risk of severe signs is small. So, we can use the above for Wally at this point to reduce his risk while monitoring him over the next day or so. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! :
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my dear. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)