Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My male miniature poodle sodomized my male toy poodle this

Customer Question

my male miniature poodle sodomized my male toy poodle this past monday evening. my toy poodle seems a bit out of sorts: a bit of anxiety last two nights. didn't seem to want to be comforted and held for long, seemed to want to be alone; was having a bit of a struggle pooping this am; little bit of blood, mushy butt area, a bit swollen. Smaller dog is a rescue dog and larger dog had been present in the home for eight years already. are 8 and 9 years old, and larger dog has been a bit jealous, but not to any extreme, but is more than interested in the smaller dogs privates. have kept a tight handle on the situation, but attack happened when we were out of the home for 2 hrs monday evening. please advise, thank you, kathy i also want to add that the miniature is not fixed, but the toy is.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still waiting for you assistance. This is a very important matter. Thank you. Kathy
Thank you, ***** ***** continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. This situation is both a behavioral and medical issue. Your toy's trauma to his anus and rectum should have remissed by now. An analgesic such as a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) prescribed by his vet would address swelling as well. Carprofen and meloxicam are examples of such an NSAID. As long as bleeding has stopped and he's defecating normally, he doesn't need to have that area checked by his vet. Your miniature's behavior is considered dominance posturing. It doesn't have a sexual connotation. Dominant dogs will often mount other dogs but rarely penetrate them. A behaviorist (please see here: www.dacvb.com) can come to your home and see the dynamics between your two dogs and offer suggestions. The first will be to neuter your miniature. Unfortunately, that procedure isn't a guarantee that your toy won't be mounted and penetrated. Performing eunichs were favored in the queen's court! The ability of one dog to become dominant over the others depends on inherited traits, sex, size, hormonal status, and the relative dominance of other pack members. Longevity in the household provides a certain degree of authority. Reconditioning your miniature shouldn't be guided in a long-distance manner such as this forum but if you're interested in knowing basic guidelines for doing so, please relist your question into the Dog Training category. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.