Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a Yorkie pup (4.7lbs) about 10-12 weeks and was given

Customer Question

I have a Yorkie pup (4.7lbs) about 10-12 weeks and was given Tri heart plus without prior testing. He is now struggling for his life...low bp, extreme lethargy, staggering, etc. Vet is puzzled as to what could be going on considering levels and X-ray not showing anything too severe to cause him to be this way. I live in Nevada and I'm not getting a straight answer whether he should of had testing done prior?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We can't test for heartworm prior to 6 months of age. Even if infected, our dogs wouldn't have any adult heartworms for which to test until 6 months passed and larval heartworms matured into adults. The ingredients in Triheart Plus are ivermectin and pyrantel - neither of which are present in sufficient amount to cause the symptoms you mentioned. Even dogs with the MDR1 gene mutation which causes a predisposition for adverse drug reactions - to ivermectin, for example - are expected to tolerate the amount of ivermectin in Triheart; Yorkies aren't known to carry this mutation in any event and wouldn't be tested for this mutation prior to administering a product containing ivermectin. Dosages of up to 7X the recommended dose of pyrantel generally result in no toxic reactions. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Carol Castro,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Benji. How is everything going?