Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is listless and had a limp when i took her out to walk.

Customer Question

My dog is listless and had a limp when i took her out to walk. No personality at all and does not seem to want to jump on bed with me
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While lameness, reluctance to jump up, and listlessness aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder, I am concerned that a miniature dog such as Prada is suffering from a painful back - often due to intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk"). Supportive evidence of a disk includes shaking, trembling (pain responses), a postural change - a "hunch" in her back or holding her neck rigidly and head lower to the ground, vocalizing when approached or lifted, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming reclusive or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Of course, Prada may simply have hurt herself too - a soft tissue injury such as sprain or strain. Unless she remissed unaided within 72 hours, it would be prudent to have her vet perform a thorough physical exam paying particular attention to Prada's spine. Should she become paretic (weak) or paralyzed in any limb(s), she would need immediate attention from a vet. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it is not her back I am concerned about and I am puzzled why you focused on that area. She is listless and no energy. She does not want to\move and has a temp of 104.8. I don't really think that is a back issue. I think you went way off course here.
She is a bit anemic and I am wondering if she inhaled some carpet cleaner to cause this type of behavior.
Thank you for the additional information. Lameness and reluctance to jump suggests back pain. That thought was only an educated guess - not a diagnosis. Those symptoms aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of back pain, of course.
Such a fever and slight anemia aren't symptoms of carpet cleaner exposure. Fever arises from inflammation - often the inflammation associated with infection.
As I mentioned initially, if 72 hours have passed and she remained symptomatic, she'll need her vet to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and perhaps imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound. Her symptoms aren't specific for any one disorder; hence, the need for her to be attended to.
Please ignore the above if her fever and anemia were detected by her vet already. Hopefully testing has begun and you'll have a better idea of what's going on with her. Please continue our conversation if you wish.