Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Persistent brown crusting area on top of head oozing fluid not respond

Customer Question

Persistent brown crusting area on top of head oozing fluid not responding to triple antibiotic ointment
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We scrubbed the crust off and it us a pink raised area that has spread to three additional erasure size areas he has a central original area that has slowly grown and made the additional areas in the last three weeks. The are oddly oblong pink based raised from the skin surface approx 1 /16th inch. I am trying ketocanozole tonight. He did have fleas which I have bathed and flea treated him. I am a nurse and this is my son's dog that I am trying to get back to health. Otherwise he seems healthy.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this area to our conversation after you've once again scrubbed the crust off? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. How old is Ace, please? A superficial spreading pyoderma and demodicosis with secondary infection - Staph, usually - would top my differential list. Skin scrapings are necessary to identify the Demodex mange mite. A systemic antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin would be indicated if a topical such as the triple antibiotic aointment isn't helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need a different picture. That took 10 tries. He is 4 months.
I appreciate how difficult this can be. This photo is too out of focus to evaluate properly. You'll need a macro lens.