Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

A puppy ate rat posion and is throwing up. What can I do

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Do you know which type of rat poison was ingested (the active ingredient)?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
If he truly ingested a moderate amount and is vomiting, then this is one of those medical emergencies that you need to proceed to an emergency clinic right now.If this was brodifacoum or another anticoagulant rodenticide (which are becoming rarer these days) then he needs to start on treatment tonight with vitamin K (which is prescription and the dose must be carefully calculated by his veterinarian). This type of rodenticide can lead to bleeding issues.If on the other hand this was Bromethalin then this is really an emergency. This is becoming a more common rodenticide to be in products and it causes awful neurological signs. Treatment is very difficult but if started early there is a chance we can get a dog to survive this ingestion. There is no antidote.