How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5081
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A puppy ate rat posion and is throwing up. What can I do

Customer Question

A puppy ate rat posion and is throwing up. What can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Do you know which type of rat poison was ingested (the active ingredient)?
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
If he truly ingested a moderate amount and is vomiting, then this is one of those medical emergencies that you need to proceed to an emergency clinic right now.If this was brodifacoum or another anticoagulant rodenticide (which are becoming rarer these days) then he needs to start on treatment tonight with vitamin K (which is prescription and the dose must be carefully calculated by his veterinarian). This type of rodenticide can lead to bleeding issues.If on the other hand this was Bromethalin then this is really an emergency. This is becoming a more common rodenticide to be in products and it causes awful neurological signs. Treatment is very difficult but if started early there is a chance we can get a dog to survive this ingestion. There is no antidote.