Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

One male dog (young) always wants to lick my other male's (older)

Customer Question

One male dog (young) always wants to lick my other male's (older) anus and penis? Is there something wrong with the younger dog? How can I stop him to do that?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry that Toby is licking like this. I am happy to help. This is actually a perfectly normal behavior and he is basically just being a dog. This is a way they know who the other dog is and they know eachothers smells. This is very common in male dogs. I have 3 male dogs at home and they all do this. So the way to get him to stop is just to correct him every time he is doing it. A firm "No" and scoot him away from the other dog. You just have to be consistent with it. Since it is a natural normal behavior it is still going to occur at times but just do your best to correct him. Otherwise it is nothing to worry about what so ever. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead