Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our dog became ill after her annual shots, we took her to the

Customer Question

our dog became ill after her annual shots, we took her to the vet and had several blood tests done. Since then 4 days ago she has not eaten and has only taken water her gum look yellow and the whites off her eyes are yellow, she is 10 years old,over weight by about 30lbs,we have another appointment with her dr.in the morning
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.We do sometimes see immune system issues after vaccinations, but it would be very odd for it to wait so long to appear. Most dogs show us a problem with vaccines earlier in life. However, one of our top concerns that could cause a yellow hue is immune mediated hemolytic anemia. Your veterinarian can do some tests for that which would include a complete blood count and saline agglutination test in hospital. Sometimes this can take a bit of time to show up on lab work. But hopefully her liver values are normal and the yellow hue does not indicate a liver issue (this is not usually associated with vaccinations).At home, definitely continue to tempt her to eat. Try white rice and chicken (or cottage cheese). If not already doing you can help any nausea by administering something like Pepcid AC. Hopefully, your vet recommended this or prescribed something else for her.Please let me know your questions.