Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

3 year old dog has diarrhea -1\2 days what can I give

Customer Question

3 year old dog has diarrhea for 1-1\2 days what can I give her. Rice was suggested but with what can food or dry food?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any blood in the stool? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Any vomiting? 5- Is she on any medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no eating anything out of the ordinary, no blood or vomiting no meds. She weighs 56 lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 tablespoon every 8-12 hours for 1-2 days. 2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mandy. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter