Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Maltese dog weighs 8 lbs 6 yrs old. just picked her up from

Customer Question

maltese dog weighs 8 lbs 6 yrs old. just picked her up from groomer and she is acting like she cant breath from time to time. She has not done this before. like she is struggling to get air then she stops and then starts it again. sounds a bit like she is choking.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thanks for the question. I would wonder if she got a little stressed this time and she was pulling on the neck lead too hard. This can lead to a choking type injury and pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs). This may not occur right away, but it can slowly worsen over the 24 hours after the incident. I would probably error on the side of caution and get x-rays of her neck and chest. This will make sure there is not fluid in the lungs. If there is, then she should be hospitalized over the next 24-48 hours on oxygen and meds to help move the fluid out of the lungs. A 24 hour ER vet would be the ideal place for the x-rays and monitoring if they find something. I would call the groomer and ask if she struggled, to get a better picture of what happened. That will help the vet make the diagnosis and provide treatment. This is something that happens on occasion, but it is treatable. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.