Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 8 year old dog ate most of a blue toilet bowl cleaner tab?

Customer Question

my 8 year old dog ate most of a blue toilet bowl cleaner tab? acting normal, just blue diarrhea & pee not eating lunch but drinking lots of water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!May I ask the name of the tablet so I can review the ingredients and level of concern?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Some of these could have very bad effects when ingested like fluid build up in the lungs or the brain. The good thing is that your dog is acting normal and only has the blue diarrhea with increased water intake. It would be advised to have him seen by a vet to at the very least get him on fluids for supportive care and help increase the elimination process of the ingredients.If you elect not to do so please feed him white rice and chicken, could also give him gatorade to make him drink more. But, do not give him antidiarrheals. We want him to remove this from his system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately I do not have wrapper - not a name brand. something cheap at the dollar store.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Because he actually ingested the tablet versus just the toilet water the concentration of the cleaner is much higher and is concerning it will cause issues with metabolism. This is one of the cases that I would not advise waiting it out but getting him seen to ensure that he is not in danger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I would much rather have you go to your regular vet now versus waiting and watching which may end with a veterinary er visit, much more costly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
calling them now
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. I know this is not what you want to hear but what is best for Boomer in this scenarioPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today, I hope they get you in today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I am checking in on you and Boomer. Were you able to get him seen today by your vet? Is he doing alright? I would love an update when you are able.Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boomer. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman